Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Beaconsfield Cards - February 2014 - Portraits of Home Made


Welcome to the 11th edition of Portraits of Home Made - wow! I'm still playing a bit of catch up here but promise to soon be up to date ;)

This month's feature was first introduced to me by a mutual friend and I'm happy to become a fan of her work! I am always drawn to stationery, especially with a modern design, so to combine that with an eco-friendly approach is a winning combination that is found in Beaconsfield Cards

Please enjoy this month's Portrait of Home Made!



Janet Weldon is a designer who offers a wide-range of environmentally friendly stationery products; from custom wine labels, wedding and event invitations to all types of greeting cards through Beaconsfield Cards. She is Mom to 7 year old Kate and lives in Toronto, Ontario. 


Q: In 3 words, describe your business.

A: Custom, eco-friendly & modern.




Q: Did you start your business before or after becoming a Mom?

A: I started my business after becoming a Mom. I was laid off twice in 5 years and decided to start my own business. I was accepted into the Ontario Self-Employment Benefit (OSEB) program in April 2013. It's a government based program that offers funding, business courses and mentorship for those starting a business. It was amazing!
I wouldn't say having a child inspired my business but I love the flexibility it offers. 

Chihuahua Dog Thank You Cards

Q: Mixing business and motherhood can be a balancing act! What is your approach to making it through the day accomplishing growth in your business alongside nurturing your little one?

A: Having a school aged daughter allows me time to concentrate on my business during the day. I really try to keep consistent working hours through the week so my weekends can be spent with my family.

Cheers Greeting Card

Q: What do your consider the biggest perk to having your business at home? What is the biggest challenge?

A: Having a business at home allows me to get a lot accomplished through the day. Instead of a sit down coffee break, I’ll throw in a load of laundry or do a quick clean. It’s nice knowing if my daughter needs me I can be there. If she has to come home from school because she’s not feeling well, there’s no guilt of having to leave the office.

Dog Greeting Card

Q: What is your favourite social media platform to share and connect with your customers and why?

A: I know I have to start using social media more to grow my business! Right now Facebook is my best way to connect with my customers. It’s just the easiest at the moment.

Personalized initials card set

Q: If you were able to add another element/extension to your business, what would it be?

A: Just recently I’ve been contacted by a photographer to do some photo retouching work. I have a lot of experience in the field but haven’t done it for a while. It’s something I love to do so I think if this could become part of my overall business I’ll be very happy.

Wedding Invitation Set

Wedding Love Wine Bottle Label

Q: Please name an inspirational artisan you would like to collaborate with on a product/project if anything was possible!

A: My friend Marianne Gibson does encaustic painting (pigments are added to beeswax which is heated and applied to a surface) and I’d love to collaborate with her at some point.


Happy Birthday Card

Q: If you had an unexpected afternoon of free time, how would you spend it?

A: Meet up with a friend and walk around the city. Maybe go to Trinity Bellwoods park and do some people watching.

Yellow Flowers Greeting Card


Q: Is there a creative skill you wish you had?

A: I wish I was able to draw well from memory.

Blue Flowers Greeting Card

Quick 3:

1. Coffee or tea?

Coffee in the morning, maybe an afternoon tea.

2. Music, Movies or Podcasts while you work?

CBC Radio One in the morning, in the afternoon usually I’ll watch something online related to history - Lucy Worsely is one of my favourites as is David Starkey.

3. Name a book that has inspired/informed your business?

The $100 Startup by Chris Gullebeau

Purple Flowers Greeting Card

Janet's aim through Beaconsfield Cards is to connect people to people through beautiful stationery and modern design. She uses environmentally friendly paper for the stationery and biodegradable, compostable clear protective packaging. 

Beaconsfield Cards offers custom wedding invitation sets as well as printable wedding invitation sets and other special touches such as co-ordinating wine bottle labels and table numbers. To see her collection of modern ready-made and personalized cards and colourful, bold IPhone cases, have a look around her Etsy shop!

Thank you Janet for sharing your modern designs - especially those vibrant flower greeting cards which are sure to welcome Spring! Keep in touch with Janet online:

website          shop
  facebook         twitter
    pinterest

Thanks again to all the readers who follow the blog and especially these monthly features! Your likes, comments and shares are always appreciated! See you again soon for the next Portrait of Home Made! Don't forget to sign up to follow the blog by email  - just enter your email address in the follow by email box at the top right of the page.

Are you or someone you know a work from home Mom creating an amazing product or offering an awesome service? I want to meet you - contact me to find out how you could be featured! wendy [at] tinybrushstrokes [dot] ca


1 comment:

Cameron Murray said...

Great interview with Janet, of Beaconsfield Cards. Love her style.