Tuesday, February 18, 2014

On a Branch Soaps - January 2014 - Portraits of Home Made


Welcome to the newest edition of Portraits of Home Made and the first one of 2014! Please stick with me as I play a little catch up over the next little while with my featured businesses. First up is the January feature being posted in February - oh well! I will get back to regular posting after a double feature one month. In the meantime, please enjoy this month's portrait!


Tara Patey is an artisan who creates hand crafted, all natural soaps and skin care products through her business On a Branch Soaps. She is Mom to 9 year old Keegan and 8 year old Quinn and lives in Burlington, Ontario. 


Q: In 3 words, describe your business.

A: Wholesome, fragrant, honest.


Q: Did you start your business before or after becoming a Mom?

A: I began making soap when my children were about 4 or 5 years old. Although I had been wanting to make my soap for about 10 years previous to their birth, it wasn't until I came across a video and realized I could do it too. After my first batch, I was hooked. Once both my boys were in school full-time, we (my husband and I) decided that I should give the business my full-time attention. 

Q: Mixing business & motherhood can be a balancing act! What is your approach to making it through the day accomplishing growth in your business alongside nurturing your little ones?

A: Every day is a challenge as far as balancing my family with my business but, as each day begins, my approach remains the same. Early morning is dedicated to the boys - getting them fed and ready for their school day. After dropping off the boys at school, it's time to bring the puppy for a walk. I then dedicate the remainder of the school day to my soap; making, wrapping, filling orders. Ideally, I like to get all my work done during this time so that I can focus on the boys once they are home from school. It doesn't always happen and sometimes I have to squeeze in some "soapy" work in the evenings. But as long as I keep them well fed, listen to them and squeeze in a chapter of Harry Potter before bed, they are happy boys and my day has been successful.  


Q: What do you consider the biggest perk to having your business at home? What is the biggest challenge?

A: The biggest perk to a home business is that I am able to be here for my boys whenever they need me - before school, after school, in the evenings, sick days. The biggest challenge is finding the right balance between the two - our home and my business. Since there is no geographical separation between the two, I often feel like I am neglecting one or the other. While making a batch of soap, I will be thinking how I need to clean the bathroom. While folding the laundry, I'll be thinking that I should be working on an order. 

Q: What is your favourite social media platform to share and connect with your customers and why?

A: My favourite social media platform is Instagram. I love how a single image can say so much. I also enjoy that I can share more than simply "soap related" items. I can connect with people in all aspects of my day - reading, cooking, knitting, the boys. In return, customers can share their images with me. 


Q: If you were able to add another element/extension to your business, what would it be?

A: When I first began selling my soaps at local craft shows several years ago, my goal was to sell enough soap to pay for my soap making supplies. Well, my little soap company has seen such growth in the last year or so that my goals have also undergone growth. I already provide physically and emotionally for my family, now I want to contribute financially. 

The one thing that hasn't changed is my desire to spend my days doing things that make me happy and one of those things is making soap. From the concept of each soap (the look, the scent, the name) to the wrapping of each bar and hand stamping of each label, On a Branch Soaps is a reflection of me, not of the latest trend. I just so happen to be fortunate enough to have supportive friends and family and to have found customers who appreciate what I pour into each bar of soap. 

Q: I f you had an unexpected afternoon of free time, how would you spend it?

A: Knitting and reading.


Q: Is there a creative skill you wish you had?

A: I would love to be able to sew my own clothes. 

Quick 3:

1. Coffee or Tea?

Coffee in the morning, tea for the rest of the day.

2. Music, Movies or Podcasts while you work?

Podcasts and audiobooks. 

3. Name a book that has inspired/informed your business?

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Two of my soaps, Claire's Garden and Jamie's Oatmeal were inspired by the two main characters. 


I love the idea that Tara has created soaps that were inspired by literary characters - so creative! Perhaps there will be a little literary collection of soaps in the future? 

I thought I would ask Tara if she could describe a soap she would create - that was a reflection of her, a soap self portrait in a way. Here is what she said... 

" My first thought was, 'Okay, if I were to make a soap that was representative of myself, what would it be like? Well, it would have this and this, maybe a bit of that, and oh, it would be made with tea . . .'  What I was actually doing was imagining an amalgamation of all my soaps but it wasn't actually a soap I wanted to make.  I then realized that I really like my Chai soap.  And I really like the Lavender Oatmeal soap.  And I love patchouli.  In essence, each of my soaps is a reflection of me at some point either in my day, week or year."  

I think this speaks to the hand crafted, thoughtful approach to her soap making, On a Branch Soaps is truly a reflection of its creator - which is the unique experience consumers seek when supporting an artisan and their handmade products.

Because consumers are so savvy and interested in what is in their products and how they are made, Tara has connected directly with her customers by sharing the soap making process & ingredients list behind On a Branch Soaps on her website. To know that the all natural soap you are purchasing is made and packaged with such care and attention to detail through small hand crafted batches must draw in new customers and keep them coming back for more soapy goodness! 

PS: did you know that Tara offers a frequent buyer plan? Check out the details here in her Etsy shop

On a Branch Soaps will be participating in the following shows this year; Art in the Vineyard (Niagara on the Lake), Carlisle Country Craft and Old-Fashioned Market (Carlisle) and Port Nelson Mistletoe Market (Burlington).

Thank you Tara for sharing your lovely products! Keep in touch with Tara and see what is new with On a Branch Soaps online:

         website       facebook

       shop          instagram  

Thanks again to all the readers who follow the blog and especially these monthly features! Your likes, comments and shares are always appreciated! See you again soon for the next Portrait of Home Made! Don't forget to sign up to follow the blog by email  - just enter your email address in the follow by email box at the top right of the page.

Are you or someone you know a work from home Mom creating an amazing product or offering an awesome service? I want to meet you - contact me to find out how you could be featured! wendy [at] tinybrushstrokes [dot] ca


No comments: