Friday, November 15, 2013

Liv.Well Toys - November 2013 - Portraits of Home Made


Welcome to the November edition of Portraits of Home Made! I was referred to this month's portrait feature Nicole, from the awesome duo behind A Curious Shop in Ottawa. Looking ahead to the holiday gift giving season, I thought that a spotlight on handmade, earth friendly cloth toys designed to stimulate children's development and imagination would be perfect. Please enjoy meeting Nicole & her creative, eco-friendly toys!


Nicole Shaw is an artisan who makes toys and other fun stuff out of re purposed fabric and reclaimed wood through her business Liv.Well Toys. She is Mom to 6 year old Olivia, 5 year old Maxwell and 2 going on 3 year old Elizabeth and lives in Ottawa, Ontario.

 
Q: In 3 words, describe your business.
 
A: Kid, Parent & Earth Friendly
 
Pay It Forward

Q: Did you start your business before or after becoming a Mom?
 
A: I started my business after the birth of my second baby. I wanted them to play with natural cloth and wood toys. I found the majority of the toys to be very expensive, so I started by making them a cloth giraffe and elephant from fabric scraps I had around the house.
 
Stuffed Buddies - Elephant
 
 Q: Mixing business & motherhood can be a balancing act! What is your approach to making it through the day accomplishing growth in your business alongside nurturing your children?
 
 A: I am a stay at home mom first. My oldest girl is in grade one, my little boy is in half day kindergarten and my littlest girl is still at home with me. In the mornings I look after my two youngest and two other little boys. We go tromp through the woods or play in the backyard. At noon I send the three boys to school and put my little girl down for her nap. I breathe, make some coffee and get to work. I spend the next 1-2 hours sewing, cutting (or doing laundry) and then I am back to my mommy duties.
 
I try to work again after the kids are tucked soundly into their beds. Growth can be challenging given the time constraints, let alone keeping up with my current small status. I enjoy it all. I think that is the key to the balance. Finding joy in it all.
 
Custom Hippo from Baby Clothes
 
Q: What do you consider to be the biggest perk to having your business at home? What is the biggest challenge?

A: The perks are limitless. I am able to be there for my kids. I love involving them in the creative process and teaching them crafts. They sit on my knee to sew from time to time. They sort through sweater scraps with me. They watch me sand wood bits. They learn to imagine what they can make from old into new.

The challenge is finding the time to get it all done. The business seems to grow on its own for now. I am working to keep up with it. I love the challenge and the learning curve.

My workshop - a wonderful 1950's sewing machine
 
Toddler Pants from Sweater Scraps
 
Q: What is your favourite social media platform to share and connect with your customers and why?

A: With my limited time, I find it hard to spend time on promotion through social media. To date it is only on Facebook. I have a small neglected page but it is there with some great followers. When the kids are older I see this part of the business growing. I have a blog all planned out.... Later.

Gnomes

Q: If you were able to add another element/extension to your business, what would it be?

A: This is what my dreams are made of now. I will, with time, have an assistant to help me organize, sort, sew and more. I will start my blog. I will make all those new toys that are drawn out and planned in my growing idea book. It will be glorious!

Christmas Cards

Q: Please name an inspirational artisan you would like to collaborate with on a product/project if anything was possible!

A: I would like to work with anyone who holds near and dear the belief that a child's creativity and imagination is of utmost importance. For now I search through vintage craft books, I look through Etsy, I scan Pinterest. I would like to chat with the grandmas who make simple dolls and toys for their children.

Dress Up Gnome

Q: If you had an unexpected afternoon of free time, how would you spend it?

A:  Just one? In my garage working with all the reclaimed wood and fallen branches I have collected. Making houses, gnomes, branch blocks, memory games....

Memory Game

Q: Is there a creative skill you wish you had?

A: Knitting

  
Toddler Mittens from Sweater Scraps and other bits

Quick 3:

1. Coffee or Tea

Coffee

2. Music, Movies or Podcasts while you work?

Music

3. Name a book that has inspired/informed your business?

Vintage children's craft books

Stuffed Buddies - Zebra

Thank you Nicole for sharing this glimpse into your handmade business and charming products! You can tell that each item, from the cloth baby books to the OOAK stuffed buddies has been designed and made with care and creativity.
 
If you are in the Ottawa area, Liv.Well Toys will be at several wonderful craft shows throughout November and December this year:

- Sandy Hill's One And Only Arts & Crafts Show
- MAC fair
- Ottawa Valley Crafts and Collectibles Show
- Idle Hands Craft Fair
- Craftalicious

Also a selection of Liv.Well Toys items can be found online through Etsy , are featured on Ottawa's gift concierge Givopoly & are available to purchase in person at the following stores in Ottawa and surrounding areas:

Flock Boutique
- Workshop Boutique
- A Curious Shop
- Re:Purpose
- the Sugar Post in beautiful Merrickville
 
Keep in touch with Nicole online:
 
facebook        shop

 
Alphabet Blocks
 
Thanks again to all the readers who follow the blog and especially these monthly features! Your likes, comments and shares are always appreciated. Stay tuned in December for the next Portrait of Home Made and don't forget to sign up to follow the blog by email  - just enter your email address in the follow by email box at the top right of the page.
 
Are you or someone you know a work from home Mom creating an amazing product or offering an awesome service? I want to meet you - contact me to find out how you could be featured! wendy [at] tinybrushstrokes [dot] ca
 

 

No comments: