Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Embroider{wee} - October 2013 - Portraits of Home Made

 
Fall is a season of colour, creativity & community! The changing leaves, apple picking, pie baking, pumpkin decorating and this past weekend, families and friends gathering to celebrate Thanksgiving together.
 
Creating a sense of community is one of the reasons I began this monthly blog series, to connect with other work at home creative Moms and create a sense of community among us. To share with and learn from each other as well as making a connection to new fans and customers beyond our current reach. So far, Portraits of Home Made features having included artisans I have met at craft shows, have been a fan of their work, have met locally, have met through a group we have in common, have been suggested to me by other artisans, etc.
 
For many artisans, the community that surrounds our work encourages, inspires and supports us. It includes people we know in person and those we meet virtually through social media and get to know through following their feeds, interacting with them and getting a glimpse into their creative world.
 
I came across this month's Portrait of Home Made feature in just that way, virtually and visually through my favourite online community, Instagram. After a short time of seeing her cute & simply beautiful product photos in my feed, I knew I had to reach out and I'm so happy I did!
 
Please enjoy getting to know Shawne and her business Embroider{wee} in the 8th edition of Portraits of Home Made!
 

 
Shawne Bennett is an artisan who creates original, hand drawn & hand stitched one of a kind embroidered hoop art through her business Embroider{wee}. She is wife to the "most supportive hubby ever!", Mom to 13 year old Spencer, a cat named Sammy and lives in Waterdown, Ontario.   
 
Embroider{me}
 
Q: In 3 words, describe your business.
 
A: Colourful, One of a Kind, Keepsakes
 
 
Q: Did you start your business before or after becoming a Mom?
 
A: After... Embroider{wee} was launched in April 2013. I have always been interested in décor and have been most inspired by children's décor because it is so colourful and vibrant. My embroidered pieces encompass classic, simple designs in a gorgeous array of colours & textures. They are truly forever keepsakes - ready to ship and made to order items - I love bringing visions to life! 
 
 
Q: Mixing business & motherhood can be a balancing act! What is your approach to making it through the day accomplishing growth in your business alongside nurturing your child?
 
A: I admit that I find it challenging sometimes to have that perfect work/life balance and I think many Moms do. If there is a secret recipe I would love the ingredients. I believe that there is a challenge at every age with your children - my son is 13 so it is a little easier because he is much more independent.
 
My day starts early as my son catches the bus at 7:20 and is home by 2:40 - I always want to be available when he gets home so we can have a snack and chat about our days. He is then ready to hang with friends and back to work I go! Realistically work and or life may lack that balancing act from time to time, but I try and set a to-do schedule for the day and stick to it. I am realistic as to what I can accomplish and if something doesn't get completed I move it to tomorrow. :)
 

 
Q: What do you consider to be the biggest perk to having your business at home? What is the biggest challenge?
 
A: The biggest perk is that I can work in my pj's - I embroider on the floor - I know that sounds very uncomfortable, but I have pillows in my office and it's much more productive and relaxing for me...and of course, I have my coffee pot close by! The biggest challenge...hmmm...stopping! ;) I just love to embroider because it is very therapeutic and relaxing.
 
 
where it all happens!
 
 
 
Q: What is your favourite social media platform to share and connect with your customers and why?
 
A: I would have to say Instagram because for me it is super easy to snap a picture, hashtag and continue working without much interruption. I also have Facebook (a personal page) and post updates there too. Word of mouth is extremely powerful - although not your traditional social media platform - it has really brought a lot of business my way.
 
hoop love
 
Q: If you were able to add another element/extension to your business, what would it be?
 
A: Hmmm that's a good question...perhaps cloning me or my pieces?!?!?!
 
 
Q: Please name an inspirational artisan you would like to collaborate with on a product/project if anything was possible!
 
A: Wow - great question! I love home décor and am quite a fan of Sarah Richardson and Candice Olsen... I imagine a wall full of embroidered pieces to compliment one of their room designs! Perhaps a nursery? :)
 
 
 
Q: If you had an unexpected afternoon of free time, how would you spend it?
 
A: Another great question :) Well, it would totally depend on if I was alone or with family & friends... Going for a walk, having a cup of coffee, reading, browsing an antique shop, eating lunch from a food truck, a drive in the country, flower shopping, napping...I know, I know that's a long list for one afternoon! I can dream right? 
 
 
Q: Is there a creative skill you wish you had?
 
A:Woodworking...my Dad is amazing and he can honestly build anything...
I, however, can't!
 
Quick 3:
 
1. Coffee or Tea?
 
Coffee, hands down! 
 
 
2. Music, Movies or Podcasts while you work?
 
HGTV and the Food Network
 
 
3. Name a book that has inspired/informed your business?
 
I read thrillers so I am not sure if they have inspired me in the business sense!
 
 
Thank you Shawne for sharing a glimpse into your creative process through Embroider{wee} and I am looking forward to seeing your delightful embroidered art in person someday! 
 
Embroider{wee} will be a vendor at the upcoming 5th annual outdoor Christmas Handmade Market from November 22-24th at the Fielding Estate Winery in Beamsville, ON.
 
 
Keep in touch with Shawne online:
 
shop       instagram       pinterest



Thanks again to all the readers who follow the blog and especially these monthly features! Your likes, comments and shares are always appreciated! See you again in November for the next Portrait of Home Made! Don't forget to sign up to follow the blog by email  - just enter your email address in the follow by email box at the top right of the page.
 
Are you or someone you know a work from home Mom creating an amazing product or offering an awesome service? I want to meet you - contact me to find out how you could be featured! wendy [at] tinybrushstrokes [dot] ca
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, such creativity . Love it... and so personalized.